Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Milestones

Today would have been Dave's 45th birthday. I've dreaded this day for a long time, because it's the first of his birthdays I'm celebrating without him.

But today has been one of the best days of my entire life. I feel blessed today, and I hope it isn't too blasphemous for me to suggest that he's up there in Heaven asking God to bless me as his birthday present...

Yeah, I know the universe, natural or otherwise, doesn't really revolve around me. But as Dave used to say, "For me it does."

Anyway, yesterday I found out that I was confirmed by the school board (no surprise there, but it's nice to know). They're drawing up the contract and will call me to make an appointment to sign it once it's ready.

Also yesterday I won a free game on the pinball machine at the roller rink.

But all that was yesterday. I want to talk about today.

This morning I actually beat my alarm by 3 minutes. I haven't gotten up when I'm supposed to since Kinko's days. I figured the reason I was able to in those days is because Dave would get up with me and we would share those precious few minutes before I had to rush off to work. But today--I got up.

When I checked my e-mail I found out that they're now offering half-scholarships for a week-long writing residency program I wanted to attend and couldn't afford. I got the scholarship. I'll be going the week before my birthday, and from there to NY to spend my birthday week with my family. When I come back it'll be time to get ready for the new school year...

Tonight I'm doing a Scrubs trivia contest on-line and then going to my writers' group.

Oh, and I did e-mail that publisher and he e-mailed me back to say that he would be getting back to me soon on my submission.

Life is good. I do wish it had been part of God's plan for Dave to be here to share these blessings with me. Dave told me once that the people who have passed on can see you and be proud of you from Heaven. I hope he was right.

Happy 45th, Dave, wherever Heaven is.

No comments: