Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A cat tale and other news

The cat came by yesterday and tried to adopt me. I feel so bad that I have a no-pets policy in my lease... if it were up to me I would adopt this cat...

It was raining really hard over the past couple of days. I had hoped the cat had found someplace dry. But when I came back from finishing some grocery shopping, he was meowing on the porch. Since it was wet and nasty out, I decided to let him in.

And he didn't ever want to leave...

As it was, even though I fed him in the kitchen, he kept following me in and out as I took my groceries in from the car. He would eat if I was in the kitchen, but as soon as I went away from that room, he followed me, meowing hungrily. I added some leftover flounder to his bowl of shredded cheese (I had not realized I was out of tuna and so did not buy any).

When it dried up, I decided it was time to get the cat back outside where he belonged. He did not want to go. He followed me willingly if I went out, but he slipped back in as soon as I turned around to go in. He was chasing a flashlight beam across the house but would not chase it outside... he turned away every time the beam went near the door. Finally I put his food outside. He hesitated for a long time before he finally went.

When I came back from Toastmasters, he was meowing at the door again. This time I put his food outside to begin with, but he didn't eat it. He just looked at the door until I went in.

He didn't come back today but his food was gone. I feel torn because I love the cat and wish he could be my pet but I know I can't really have a cat. I hate it when I do what I'm supposed to and keep him out and then he disappears for several weeks, no doubt looking for someone who will really adopt him. And I know Dave would ignore the lease and let him in anyway. I used to be that way too. That's how I ended up with Kitty. But now I'm supposedly more mature and so I do what I "should" do even though I feel bad about it.

In the meantime, I bought myself a CD player to go with the drumset I will soon be getting. I have a back room that is currently empty. When my parents come I think they're bringing me a rowing machine, which will also go in that back room. I'm planning on putting the drums there and using the CD player for the music I'll be practicing with.

If all goes according to plan, I'll have my drums next Monday! I can't wait! I'm so tired of practicing using my sticks on the desk. For one thing, the fan I'm using as a hi-hat falls off the desk if I hit it too much and that messes my timing up altogether. Plus I can't hear the bass sound when I'm just tapping my foot. Plus the drums were such an important part of my life with Dave... I know he'll be watching me from heaven as I learn. I feel closer to his memory just having bought 5A nylon-tipped sticks like he always used.

Chapter Five of Elsie Worthing has FINALLY been published. Also, I sent out my first three copies of Disillusionment today. I want to get about 25 copies into circulation. I'm hoping to get about 5 out per day. I am going to get published. I can feel it. Maybe even one of these first three will bite, although of course I'm going to get all 25 out so I have the best chances.

I've started getting up early again... it is as if I am starting to remember who I am.

No comments: