Sunday, October 01, 2006

October

Well, it's October now. There's a gorgeous, orange-leaved tree outside my bedroom window.

October is usually my favourite month. Of course, this year I have mixed feelings because had Dave survived he would have come out here this month... we probably would have been together today. I dreamed about him last night, dreamed that he was here with me but he wasn't sure how much time he had. When I woke up, I thought that in my dream he was the way he was meant to be, and that must be how he is in Heaven.

Anyway, a new month always means a new chance to start over. I'm getting frustrated with my kitchen. When I opened the refrigerator door to get a banana earlier, not one but BOTH of my containers of pre-sliced green onions fell out and spilled all over the floor. I cleaned them up as best as I could, but it's yet another mess to clean up. In the meantime, I have dishes in the sink waiting to be put into the dishwasher, the dish towel fell off the rack onto the floor, the floor is a mess... again, and someone stole my outside trash can so I have to put full trash in the backyard until I can get a new can from the city.

Dave would not have been happy with how I keep the kitchen and, truthfully, neither am I. I have discovered that I like to cook, but I do NOT like to cook in a messy kitchen.

I'm making a banana bread pudding right now. I'm going to have a slice after dinner, which will be a veggie burger on a half bagel. I appear to be 90% vegetarian all of a sudden, mainly because I'm too lazy to cook meat or fish very often and anyway I'm supposed to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. It seems easier to accomplish this if I get 3 or 4 veggies in one shot (i.e a vegetable burger, a vegetable lasagna or manicotti).

I just looked over my food diary for this past week, and other than one slice of roast beef on a sandwich, I haven't eaten any meat at all. I didn't really set out to be vegeterian, but it does seem to be healthier.

Anyway, my banana bread pudding is done! Here's a picture:
















It's got bananas and French bread on the inside. It came out REALLY good... I'm going to send my mom the recipe so that she can make it for Thanksgiving.

I can't believe something like this is actually on my diet! It's perfect for my chocolate cravings... as long as I keep it to ONE piece at a time, which I did. I had to think long and hard in order to come up with a dinner that was healthy, fit all the requirements for my diet, and let me have a piece of this pudding. One piece is 4 points, and I had 10 points left. That meant I had to skip the idea of having something with a side of the pasta salad I made yesterday, because the salad itself was 7 points. Then I realized that I was short a milk. I went through about ten menus in my head. I even considered putting the pudding away until tomorrow but I wasn't willing to do that when I made it today... I wanted my first slice to be warm. I considered using some of my 35 bonus points so I could have the dessert AND the pasta, but I decided that I didn't want to do that because I didn't want to risk not losing weight this week. (Technically you're allowed to use as many of your bonus points as you'd like--you can add 5 points a day to your diet if you wish--but more points means more calories so it's less likely you'll lose the weight if you do that.) I considered skipping my second milk so I could have the frozen dinner I wanted, which would have been 6 points. And on and on and on, until finally I came up with the idea of the half-bagel for my veggie burger and a slice of cheese.

I've lost 4 pounds in the last three weeks. After this week I will have been on Weight Watchers an entire month. It'll feel good to have lost 5-6 pounds, which is a quarter of my initial goal. (Plus be out of the 190+ range, finally...)

Anyway, I should stop here because I want to finish my outline for the speech I'm giving tomorrow before Desperate Housewives comes on.

No comments: