Thursday, September 28, 2006

Trying to be patient

I had a job interview yesterday. I couldn't tell whether the interviewer liked me or not. It was for a job teaching Behavioral Emotional Disorder kids at a high school. Like all the other interviews I've been on, it started with a description of the job and then "So tell me about yourself."

Since I've joined Toastmasters, I feel a little more confident with this question. I said I had just moved here from LA to teach and told the whole story of how I found NCTEACH and all that. He asked me why I wanted to teach special ed... oh, if only I'd told him about the passion I have for it. I talked about working with ADHD students and wanting to work with autistic students, which I don't think he liked because he felt obliged to point out that these students are not autistic. Then he talked about how all the teachers help each other and how the kids are not stupid, just disabled (like I didn't know that). then he asked me if I had any questions. I asked him if there's mentoring/training for new teachers, and he said that they pair you with a seasoned teacher, then he went into this long thing about how people are afraid to ask him questions because they don't want him to think they don't know how to do their job, but e wants people to ask...

And that was it.

Today I haven't heard anything. From him or from the HR director.

I want to be working already. I feel like I'm never going to have a job. I'm tired of living off my dad's money when I've been independent for three years. I know it took my sister a year to find a law job, and so I just have to keep trying. But I am so impatient...

If Dave were here he'd just tell me to be patient and let God open the right door for me, and just him saying it would calm me down. It's so much harder to say it to myself.

No comments: