Sunday, September 24, 2006

More adventures in cooking

I made manicotti tonight. It was an interesting experience... you were supposed to "shred" the zucchini, which irritated me, as I purposely bought pre-sliced zucchini to save myself some work. Anyway, shredding apparently just means cutting into thin slices, which is what I did.

The filling was fairly easy to make. You cook the vegetables, then mix in ricotta cheese, parmesean cheese, basil, and egg substitute. Egg substitute sure cooks fast when the pan was hot! It was almost burning by the time I found the mushrooms, which were in the wrong drawer...

The hardest part was filling the manicotti tubes, especially since by this time it was after 9 and I wanted to watch Desperate Housewives. I tried to fill them hurriedly during the commercial, which of course meant tubes were breaking and things were generally not working very well. After the first commercial I was able to put the manicotti in the oven, so I could enjoy the rest of the show.

This is the first time I've watched TV since I've moved here. Dave and I used to watch this every week... it was hard not to miss him, especially during the scene where Susan was begging her comatose boyfriend to wake up so that she wouldn't have to consider going out with someone else. I enjoyed it, though, except my antenna is as wacky as any of the various antennas we had in LA. If I moved the wrong way, the reception went out altogether. I can't wait until I'm working and I can afford to get cable.

Anyway the manicotti came out good... I could smell it after the show was over and it still had ten minutes to cook. I couldn't wait for the timer to ring. After I ate I put the leftovers in my new stay-fresh container. Naturally, one slipped off the spatula and landed in the dishwasher on top of the dirty dishes. I was planning on putitng the pan in there as soon as it was empty.

I'm good at dropping things. Earlier I wasted a dollar buying blackberries in the market. They fell all over the floor as I was leaving, and a bag boy took them to throw away.

I also don't know why I'm so tired. I slept all afternoon and I'm really tired again. I think maybe it's the high carb food... I haven't eaten pasta in a long time, but this was low-calorie so I figured I'd make an exception tonight.

I still have 7 points and one fruit/vegetable to eat before bed. Maybe I'm just not eating enough, as this seems to keep happening.

1 comment:

Unilove said...

The fatigue comes from the deep loss and shock you have suffered. Your body is telling you it still needs to repair.

That, or its the carbs...or both.