Tuesday, September 05, 2006

So many things

I have so much to say and not enough time to say it in, unfortunately. My Internet is still not working at home, which means that I have to rely on public computers...

The local library allows you one hour of access per day. It's a very efficient system. You sign in with your library card at one computer and then wait for your card number to be highlighted on a screen next to it. Usually this happens so quickly I don't realize it at first. I'm standing there staring at the screen and all of a sudden my number is highlighted.

Anyway, an hour is not a lot of time and I have so much to catch up on... e-mails from family and friends, schoolwork, web surfing.

So let me try to approach all my news in backwards order.

First of all, technically I'm a published author now!!! No, not for anything "real". I started writing a Harry Potter fanfiction last week. It started as an exercise to help me deal with my grief over Dave... the first chapter flowed out of me within a day, and I submitted it to fanfiction.mugglenet.com, a fairly high-standard fanfiction site. From what I understand, they accept about 35% of submitted work. Anyway, they accepted mine!

Check it out at http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=57042

If my home access ever comes back up (something which I am starting to despair of), I can submit Chapter 2, which I finished yesterday. I'm thinking of buying some blank CD's so I can transfer files from my laptop in order to e-mail them... this is getting very irritating.

In the meantime I'm so afraid I'm going to fall behind on my classes. I'm not, really, but the lack of Internet access is interfering with me doing my best work. I'm doing the best I can to keep up with this group assignment... I hope I don't mess it up.

Later today I'm going to walk over to Fayetteville State University and use the computers there. I should have more time then. I'm sure they don't restrict you to 60 minutes like they do here. I just feel this is so ridiculous when I have my own computer... I'm frustrated and irritated.

I did this walk once before, on Sunday. It's actually a long walk, and if it's too hot I'll drive. I thought I'd walk because I don't have a parking permit, although I finally found the Visitor's Parking, so maybe that's not so much of a problem. Walking is good exercise, too.

On Sunday it was very hot. I began to doubt the advisability of this walk as I rounded the corner, but I'm the stubborn type (Dave never failed to remind me of this). So I decided to go for it. I ignored the pedestrian crossing, thinking it was safer to cross Ramsey at the light. The light, however, apparently stays green for about two seconds; it was already changing as I stepped into the street. I waited another cycle, then I sprinted across before the light had a chance to change on me.

The first part of the walk down Langdon was downhill and easy. Then I had to walk up a large hill. There was a river running on the side of the hill. I tlooked muddy and polluted, but it was a river nonetheless. I thought for a brief second about how much Dave would have loved to hear about this, then I made myself walk on.

Just as I was running out of breath, I saw the signs for Fayetteville State up ahead. I pushed myself forward, but I was tired. I had to relax underneath a tree for a while before moving onto the library, which it turned out, was closed until 2 PM. When it finally opened, it turned out you couldn't use a computer without picture ID, which I hadn't brought because I was walking.

So much for that. At least I got some exercise.

Today, of course, I know better, and I'll have my ID as well as a bottle of water. I was so thirsty after my walk back... and of course I hadn't made it to the supermarket yet so the only hting I had in the house was lemon juice. I tried to make lemonade by mixing it with water and sugar... it was still sour but I drank eagerly.

So much more to say but I am running out of breath typing all this... it's impossible to fit an entire weekend into one post, and trying to do so just isn't doing me any good. Suffice it to say that life has been interesting recently...

No comments: